Evening Bloggy friends, anyways hope everyone is having a good weekend so far. Last night we went out for a family dinner along with a friend at this Hong Kong Chinese Restaurant and followed by some ice kachang which was quite refreshing except after eating the ice kachang and stepping out to the cold wind made us freezing…Well, this particular recipe is one of my favourite curries – I’ve made a post before about Massaman Curry, but this time I’ve decided to make the tofu version of it and serve this with Tumeric Rice…oh yeah it’s meant to be a vegetarian dish but I couldn’t have my curries completely with no meat, so I cheated and chucked in some chicken thighs 🙂
Hope you like it…
Massaman Tofu Curry with Turmeric Rice
1 can of Masaman curry paste
1 packet of fried tofu
4-5 pieces of chicken thighs
1 brown onion
a can of coconut milk
1 tbsp of fish sauce
1 teaspoon of sugar/palm sugar
2 tbsp of turmeric powder
2 cups of rice
a small bunch of basil
1. I started off to cook my turmeric rice, start off rinse and wash the rice and add turmeric powder, follow by pinch of salt and add about 1/2 cup of coconut milk from the can. Mix it together and cook it in a rice cooker.
2. Dice potatoes, carrots, fried tofu, chicken thighs and onion into bite size. Pour oil in the pan chuck in onion, stir fry it until it’s golden brown add in chicken thighs and stir fry about a minute and add in the massaman curry paste – you can buy this at any Asian grocery store – I would recommend buying the thai brand with a lady’s face on the can – this brand is really good. Stir fry it about a few minutes until it’s fragrant and add in potatoes and carrots. Continue to stir fry it for a few minutes and add in the remaining can of coconut milk.
3. Boil the pot of curry and then turn down the fire and simmer for about 30 minutes until the potatoes are cooked and chuck in the fried tofu (as fried tofu cooks very quickly it will absorb some of the curry juice) if you find the curry pot is getting a little thick in the sauce, add some water and mix it around to get the right consistency. Add some fish sauce and sugar and taste to make sure it’s perfect.
4. Your turmeric rice should be ready, open the lid of your rice cooker and mix the turmeric rice around so that the flavours are well mixed.
5. Serve your curry with turmeric rice and garnish with some basil..and it will go well with some thai style salad – the dressing is pretty easy. Just chopped finely some red chillies and add some fish sauce and lemon juice and balance it right and choose your salad – red onion, cos lettuce, tomatoes and some basil..
and there you have it a nice Massaman Tofu Curry with turmeric rice 🙂