Hello, after a nightmare of baking Jamie Oliver’s carrot cake – I was kind of scared to bake again…but I’ve since borrowed extra kitchen utensils from my sister in law – thanks! So I thought I must try baking again and I’m still trying to adjust to our new oven’s temperature as well..so came across this recipe on a food blog, the recipe was for a Strawberry Pastry Cake – I didn’t have strawberries but I had lots of kiwis so I thought I’ll substitute that and also the recipe asks for cake flour? What is cake flour? I was curious to find out what is cake flour, so I went online and found that you can combine cornflour and plain flour to form cake flour, with ratio of 1:3 seems easy enough…
Kiwi Pastry Cake
50g sour cream
1tsp Lemon zest
210g cake flour
1tsp baking powder
enough fresh kiwis, or other type of fruits of your choice to decorate the top of cake
1. Wash and cut kiwis into small sizes
2. Grease (with butter) and line the base of cake tin with baking paper.
3. Beat butter, sugar till pale and fluffy.
4. Add in yogurt and mix well.
5. Add egg one at a time, combine well.
6. Fold in flour and baking powder and lemon zest slowly combine and mix well.
7. Pour cake batter into prepared pan and smooth out the top.
8. Arrange kiwis on top of the cake batter – decorate this to make it nice and pretty
9. Bake at preheated oven at 180c for 60-80mins or until a skewer comes out clean.
10. Dust the cooled cake with some icing sugar.
Here it is…
Look, I really like the flavour of the cake it kind of reminds me of butter cake except it’s not too buttery and not too sweet. The only thing I find is that the cake is a little dry…not sure whether it’s meant to be this way or I haven’t master my oven temperature yet! Otherwise, it’s quite yummy….